It occurred to me a few days ago that most of you have no
idea what we do all day long! Today went really well, so I thought I’d write it
down for encouragement on the days when I want to pull my hair out, and so
y’all can see a little of what our school days look like (when things go
according to plan, which they almost never do). Also, the elements of our routine have been heavily influenced by the homeschool queen, Becky Pitcher, found here on instagram: @becky.pitcher
This morning was glorious, so the kids spent a lot of it
outside playing in the woods by the creek. It was windy and cool, and the box
elder tree in the back was practically snowing its little helicopter seeds. (I tried to call them fairies, but Emmett said, "Uh, I think they look more like helicopters." I guess I'll save that one for the girls.) When the kids came in, they brought me “samples” of ferns and poplar leaves,
and those decorated our tables today.
The kids finished what they had left to do from their
morning tasks (prayers, dress, make beds, brush teeth and hair, play the
piano [we're not starting lessons yet; I just have them play and figure out how notes sound together]), and then we did our morning routine, which is still nameless. Morning
Time? Gathering Time? Morning Devotional? We can’t decide what to call it, so I
usually just call everyone together with, “Alright, come on in y’all! It’s time
to do our stuff!” We obviously stand on ceremony around here.
The bones of our morning routine stay roughly the same:
Monthly hymn
This month we’re learning Master The Tempest Is Raging, so
we practiced singing that a few lines at a time while I played it (poorly) on
the piano. At the beginning of the month, to put the hymn in context, we watched the Bible video from
ChurchofJesusChrist.org and talked about the miracle of Jesus calming the storm. We also stop and talk about the language in the
song so they understand what’s going on. Afterwards, the kids chose a couple
more hymns to sing together that we've already learned.
Prayer
Since Chad leaves super early, we do this later in the
morning with just me and the kids.
Scriptures
Today we watched a couple chapters from the picture
scripture stories on the Church’s website. Usually we read them together so we
can stop and talk about what’s going on, but that book ALWAYS disappears! So
today, we didn’t spend the time hunting for it and just watched instead. We
save reading from the actual scriptures for before bed when we’re all gathered
at the end of the day.
Articles of Faith
We’re memorizing them together. Troy and I are on number 5,
Emmett’s on number 7. We usually review the ones we’ve already learned, too.
When we finish memorizing these, we’ll move on to other scriptures.
Artist of the Month
This month our artist is Claude Monet. I printed a bunch of high resolution images of some of
his paintings from online onto cardstock and put them in page protectors, piled
them on the table, and the kids dug in and took turns looking at them while I
read/talked about Monet and impressionism. We looked at a few of Monet’s water
lily paintings, compared them (he painted them from the same spot in his garden
at different times of the day/season, so the light was different, reflections on the
water were different, etc.), talked about the difference between impressionism
and realism, and why Monet’s art and techniques were so different from what was
going on in the Academy of Fine Arts at the time. It was awesome! Totally my
favorite part of the day.
![]() |
| Pardon the glare; page protectors :/ |
Lunch Break
During lunch, we listened to our current read aloud, On the
Banks of Plum Creek by Laura Ingalls Wilder, and the kids had a break afterward.
Afternoon
After lunch we did history. We read about Egyptian mummies
from Story of the World and followed up with a National Geographic Kids video
on Youtube that talked about them a little more. I also brought out the little scarabs and jewelry box Mr. C. brought me from Egypt, and we talked about those in relation to the wrapping process and inlays in sarcophagi.
Next, the kids did their individual work, which is math,
Explode the Code (phonics and spelling), and handwriting. E has a notebook in
which I write down his to-do list of schoolwork. He can go through
and do it in whatever order he wants. T just does as much as he wants to do.
Having just turned six, I usually let him take the reins, but I also give him a
one-page minimum from his workbooks. He typically ends up doing 3-5 pages from
his math book, because it’s fun. Everything else, he usually does 2 pages.
T was done at this point, but I did a super short grammar
lesson with E, which we didn’t finish because we’d had a long afternoon and by golly, it was high time for a break. So that was the end of our day. And it was great! They chilled
with a couple shows and lots of lego building and wrestling, and then after
dinner, they played outside while Chad mowed and hoed more planting space in
the garden until it got dark.
Two things we didn’t get to today: narration journaling (in
which the boys narrate to me some of what we talked about today, I type it
up and print it out for their journals) and copywork (mostly for E, and usually from our read aloud, sometimes with a focus on the grammar he's learning). We’ll catch
up on those tomorrow.
Tomorrow’s plan:
Morning routine.
Read a fable. The boys will narrate it back to me and tell
me what they think it means.
Music Study. We’re using Maestro Classics and LOVE THEM. Tomorrow
we’re continuing with Carnival of the Animals, taking three movements at a
time. Afterward, we'll talk about what makes the music sound like whatever
animal(s) it’s depicting.
Poetry Teatime. Our poet for the next couple weeks is
Christina Rossetti, so we’ll have treats and read some of her poetry.
Science. We’re learning about gardening.
A craft. We’re making keychains for friends.
Come, Follow Me lesson.
Individual work. Including copywork and narration
journaling.
So! Today was full. And wonderful. And difficult to attain. Not every day is so full, which is why we school year-round and take breaks when we need/want to.
Let me know if you have any questions!




No comments:
Post a Comment